Monday, December 26, 2011

sigh

OK, nightmare at the doc office Saturday morning.  Every muscle in her body was shaking from so much pain. Doc says I can not examine her eye with her so distraught.  I'm crying, I say "she can not take much more of this pain."  Doc says "this is not a hospital, I don't have anything for pain here."  He looks in her eye and says it's healing right and gives us script for Vicodin.  He says if she needs a pill for pain, take it every 6 hours.  We get back to her house and son n law says he is getting very sick with sore throat and ear pain and does not think he should be around sober daughter.  I think that is a damn good idea, so he goes to his parents.  So, I've been at her house since Saturday morning trying every thing humanly possible to ease the pain, i.e. hot rags, ice packs, double Vicodin, prayer, crying, pacing....ya know.  My cell phone was dead.  They have no phone, no Internet, no cable.  I slept with her when  she slept, I sat up with her when she could.  This afternoon, he returned and I showed him all the logs of med times and how to put the drops in and so on.  I sat in their drive way for 30 minutes trying to get the nerve to pull away.  The only thing that helped is that I took off work tomorrow and I will be there at 6:30am when he pulls away for work.  Her physical stamina was much better today, but she still has not opened either eye since the surgery Friday morning.  If someone is not with her, she can not do anything for herself.  She tried very hard to open the good eye today, but it causes the hurt one to move when she does and the pain just doubles her over. 

I missed Christmas, my husband just kept saying "me and Theo are doing fine...just do what you need to do."  That helped.

Jeeze this has been so hard.  Thanks for all your prayers my sweet friends.

15 comments:

Annette said...

Awww bless your husbands heart! My gosh...I am so sorry its been so hard on her... and you. Still praying. Does the dr have any idea when the pain might let up?

Hope said...

Thinking of you lots and praying Pammie.

Anna said...

Is it supposed to be so painful? Are there any signs of infection? She is so lucky that you are there for her.

dAAve said...

This is unbelievable. You're a saint, no matter what the Big Book says.

Marcia said...

Gosh. so sorry for the pain you are both going through!

Christina said...

A Mother's Love

A Mother's love is something
that no on can explain,
It is made of deep devotion
and of sacrifice and pain,
It is endless and unselfish
and enduring come what may
For nothing can destroy it
or take that love away . . .
It is patient and forgiving
when all others are forsaking,
And it never fails or falters
even though the heart is breaking . . .
It believes beyond believing
when the world around condemns,
And it glows with all the beauty
of the rarest, brightest gems . . .
It is far beyond defining,
it defies all explanation,
And it still remains a secret
like the mysteries of creation . . .
A many splendored miracle
man cannot understand
And another wondrous evidence
of God's tender guiding hand.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, Pam. Your poor baby! I have nothing nice to say about the doctor. Keeping both of you in my prayers.
Love, Patty

Syd said...

Pammie, I sincerely hope that the pain abates soon. You are the world's best mother. I think that you got so much of that from your mother. Love passes on love. You are the best.

Mary LA said...

Pam I'm horrified to hear what your daughter is going through, she is lucky to have you there. Maybe the SIL could take a trip out here to Africa for a while?

Let Go, Let God said...

My love and thoughts and prayers are with you Pammie. I don't know what to say except just this. Hang in there.

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

well done pam.. sounds a bit tough to be honest.. whew.. LOTS happening.. god love you..
re pain management..don't know the exact physical issue here so cannot comment, but I AM aware of the tendency for doctors to under prescribe opiate pain medication for fear of being locked up by the feds for 'dealing drugs' which in my opinion is crazy.. if thats what the patient needs.. nasty state of affairs if u ask me..No idea if this applies in your situation but the documentary called 'The chilling effect' explains it very well. its on the pain relief network webpage.. http://painreliefnetwork.org/media/ the lady director who is on the doc recently died in an airplane accident on xmas eve..

Mary Christine said...

Oh Pammie. I am so sorry your girl is in pain. I am so glad she has you. And I am so glad you have your husband. There is enough love to go around and that makes anything better.

Still praying here.

Love,
Mary

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

I am glad your daughter was provided a mom who, in her time of need, suits up, shows up and continues to reflect Love and strength. Sometimes God just needs to give us opportunities to become that person we always desired to be and have in life.

God be with you still, and with all your family.

bugerlugs63 said...

Ditto Anna. Is it supposed to be this painful? did they warn you it would be . . If not could it be infected?
You show an amazing amount of love for your daughter.

Svillagedoctor said...

Yes you may take Vicodin for neck and back pain. You must assess your pain level between 1 and 10 if it is severe Vicodin is often recommended. I am a doctor and have had 4 major back surgeries and take Vicodin on a daily basis. You must discuss this with your physician so you can get a prescription and he or she may also want to check your liver function through a blood test because there is a lot of Tylenol in the product which may adversely affect your liver. You may have to be careful driving, drinking is not recommended. You can become addicted or the relief may lessen the more often you take it or over a prolonged period of time. Vicodin is useful but there are other products as well which don't have some of the side effects.