Monday, January 23, 2012

Rehab Relapse

We had a good fundraiser on Saturday.  Interestingly enough, nachos and cupcakes go quite well together.  Yesterday the weather was in the 70's so I enjoyed some yard work time and my home group meeting.

Our meeting last night was on the spiritual malady.  It was nice to hear people talk about never going back out.  So many of the meetings I go to are filled with people talking about their last relapse or their last rehab stint. I sometimes think that it gives the newcomer hope that they can go back out and easily find their way back in.  Other peoples misery never scares us into staying and there is never an easy way back in since walking into a meeting is usually precipitated by pain.



Newcomers who leave a treatment facility and "use" shortly thereafter believe they have relapsed and think that it is so painful or not.  The true relapse is after one has worked all 12 steps, lived a sober life and have once again manifested the spiritual malady in their life and then use.  I've seen that kind of pain many times in people and it is awful.  Our spiritual condition must be our primary focus, it is what makes everything else fall in place.

"What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition."

7 comments:

Syd said...

I cannot imagine how sad I would be if my wife relapsed. But I am sure her pain would be worse.

Mary Christine said...

You know, I really don't like the word "relapse." and I really hate the casual talk of it in meetings. I think it really does give the impression that relapse is a normal part of "recovery." But that's not my story.

dAAve said...

You go, girl!

Annette said...

Wow, I have never heard relapse clarified that way. Of course that makes perfect sense! Kind of like when DAAve explained the difference between saying "sorry" and and making an amends. I learn so much form you guys! Thank you!!

Sissa said...

This is a great reminder of what we have to protect...one day at a time. Relapse is not a part of my story, but currently I am facing great fear regarding a recent layoff and supporting my family. I am praying for strength and the gumption to kick my butt into gear and find a job. I am feeling grateful that relapse has not become an option. I am strong in my faith and am hopeful and trusting in the future that my higher power has planned for me.

Lou said...

Perfect explanation. The other times are "using vacations". The woman's director of the mission said that once and it made sense. How can you relapse, if you have never truly sought spiritual recovery.

tearlessnights said...

Is it wrong that I got fixated on the cupcakes and nachos and that's all I thought about for the rest of your post? (HAHAHA - just kidding :)
I really liked the differentiating between relapse going back out an using again... I agree!
Thanks for sharing!