Sunday, December 11, 2011

Sunday Morning

We had a good day with the in laws.  My mother in law and I went to the old rodeo grounds by my house where I used hang out as a teenager, but this weekend it was a huge craft fair.  I saw some bird feeders made from old cups and saucers and now I will have to make some myself.  I did not buy anything, but then I never do. 

We ate dinner at a fun steak house that keeps buckets of peanuts on each table and you throw the shells on the floor as you eat them.  It's real crunchy walking around in there.

It's interesting to watch my husband around them, he's not quite himself but yet he is.  He got into his car one hour after his high school graduation and drove south from Michigan until he reached the Gulf of Mexico.  He only goes back once a year for Christmas.  It was never so much to get away from his parents as it was to get his parents away from him.  He loves them and he knew his choices in life would never be the ones they choose.  His distance has always been his means of protecting them.

We have not planned today yet but the weather is picture perfect.

A few times yesterday, I felt like an orphan.  When you reach an age that both your parents and all your grandparents are gone it gives you a strange "alone" feeling.  Of course, I come from a family where everyone stayed married and I never saw any kind of fussing or fighting or drinking or cursing or any of that stuff so the pictures of the past that I remember are beautiful and it makes the missing of them all the more.

I don't know what I'll wear today, since I wore my only cute "everyday run around" outfit yesterday.

Stayin' in Sunday and sucking every bit of joy I can out of it.

9 comments:

Mary Christine said...

Oh, I hate that orphan feeling! Glad you have inlaws still.

And I wore my only cute running around outfit yesterday and have more running around to do today.

Have a great day Pammie.

Lou said...

They are secretly wondering what the heck those "don't mess with Texas" signs mean.

dAAve said...

It's gonna be a cool day, in more ways than one.

Syd said...

I know the orphan feeling. I am one now. But enjoy the day and being with those who are still around. It will be good.

Annette said...

I'm an orphan too. And my kids have no grandparents. Pam, have a good good day doing whatever you have up your sleeve.

Oh and YES, those little cup and saucer bird feeders are adorable. I saw them glued onto the top of a copper pole so you just stuck it into your garden....very cute.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the one cute outfit. I have that problem a lot.

It sounds like everything has gone splendidly and that makes me smile. You have had some stress lately and certainly didn't need any more.

Have a great week :)

Mary LA said...

My cute running around outfit looks dog-chewed and uncute.

Those bird feeders sound interesting -- we get feeders from indigenous woods

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

:) It's nice to have family at Christmas.

It's hard sometimes when the feeling of separation hits without warning.

Trailboss said...

I wonder if the feeling of being an orphan is the same feeling that I have when I "feel like the only one". I have never been able to figure it out and have felt it off and on all of my life. I'm so glad you started blogging again!