Friday, July 8, 2011

Mini Rant


When I meet a young addicts parents I get crazy inside.  I love them but I get crazy.  OK, not all of them make me crazy but most do.  You can read books about the ocean or watch movies about the ocean and even go to ocean seminars but if you've never left the state of Iowa then you don't really understand the magnitude of the ocean.  Calm surfaces never give an indication to the rip tides going on below.  The ocean is never what it seems.  Never.  A newly clean addict is a miserable addict no matter what they say or how they appear until they have experienced some sort of psychic change.  The happier everyone around them is at their new sobriety, the more miserable the addict becomes because the "what the hell is wrong with me voice" gets louder.  Dope is a cure for the addict.....not the problem. There has to be a power greater than dope as a substitute.  A peaceful day with siblings eating chicken and going to the movies and getting a job is not a substitute.  Sometimes, wild sex hanging from a water tower will work for 30 minutes.

I went to the doctor yesterday.  She's so young that I was worried she would pull out a Hello Kitty stethoscope.  I have some meds.

10 comments:

Mary Christine said...

Hello Kitty stethoscope - Oh, Pammie - you are priceless!

I work with some docs like that. They are indeed young!

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

Glad you have meds. We have a medical university in our town, so lots of the docs look infantile :)

God's in it, glad you have seen the doc and received! :)

Anonymous said...

thank you. again.

dAAve said...

I may need a clarification on the water tower concept.

Syd said...

Where is that water tower? Those crazy parents are in Al-Anon Beginner's meetings. I see them several times a week.

Annette said...

Oh Pam, thanks. Very timely. I am straddling the crazy parent line today.

Lou said...

I like Syd's comment..

Gawd, what we must look and sound like to someone like Syd..LOL!!

Topper said...

I'm getting a lot out of your posts. I really like your images that you post too. I have often felt like a total idiot as I talk to my opiate addicted kid. I know a peaceful day to me is not good to him. He's told me. It's boring. I dunno. I guess he'll decide in his time.

Scott M. Frey said...

hello kitty, too funny :-) be well my friend, much love and big hugs!

Anonymous said...

How do you talk to a newly sober kid? In alanon we're instructed to not ask questions. You can only talk about the weather for so long. I struggle greatly with this. Any advice?