Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Big Things in Life.....Like my toe

Today, I will wear the ugly shoe thing my doctor gave me when I broke my toe last week.  I swear I was nearly brought down to my knees yesterday when I hit my toe twice on my desk.  Your toe becomes extremely important when it hurts.  "I" become extremely important to me when I hurt.  When life is going along smoothly, I can stay completely out of myself but let any kind of pain creep in and the world revolves around me again.  It's exhausting.

While I was busy breaking my toe, my brother in law received his PhD., my husband received a skin graft on the bottom of his foot and is in a full cast, my youngest daughter is on day 12 in a physc hospital, my addict son was kicked out of his girlfriends house, my dear friends brother was hit and killed crossing the street, another friend went out and smoked crack, my boss was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer, my husbands great aunt died....all of it happened this week......but my toe hurts.

None of them will find any relief in an ugly shoe.

Today, I will wear my ugly shoe thing and hopefully my pain will lessen enough for me to be of encouragement to those around me suffering.  I can't fix everyone but I can pray for them and offer compassion and a helping hand if I'm needed.  I can give love.....no matter how my toe feels.

11 comments:

Marcia said...

nothing like someone else's pain to take your mind off yourself. still, I could use an ugly shoe for my heart.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Pam. I can tell your heart is heavy. I'll be keeping you and your family in my prayers.

Akannie said...

Prayers and love winging your way...

Syd said...

What a week of sorrow and pain. It is life though, isn't it? Full of turns and twists and broken thing.

dAAve said...

Perspective is great except when a toe is involved.

kel said...

Sending love and prayers your way...

Hope said...

What a lot to absorb in the space of a week. I cringed just reading about stubbing a broken toe. God that hurts.

Bar L. said...

That is so much going on in a short period of time! Life hurts and so do toes. Other's pain doesn't make ours less, but sometimes it allows us to be thankful. I'm glad your toe will heal. So sorry to hear about all the other things :(

Lou said...

You have humbled me today, Pam. Puts my worries in perspective. thanks

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Oh Sister friend... You're talking to me... My foot hurts too from a work injury and after a week of coddling... I'm heading to work tomorrow armed with Ibuprofin and maybe an ugly shoe, too....

Mary LA said...

Pam I hope the toe is better by now. I found therapy a great help, just being able to say things openly without hurting others or causing misunderstandings. A therapist who was a good listener helped me listen to myself.