Wednesday, March 23, 2011

He's Going to Jump

"Some day he will be unable to imagine life either with alcohol or without it. Then he will know loneliness such as few do. He will be at the jumping-off place. He will wish for the end." (BB pg. 152)

I'm one of those few from the "as few do" part.  Are you?


If you ask a normal person what loneliness means, you will get a plethora of responses (yes, I used plethora).  I think normal people feel loneliness from inside their gut but for a lot of "us" the loneliness was soul deep, bone marrow deep, tips of our toenails to the longest strand of hair on our head deep.


When I hear of alcoholics or drug addicts committing suicide, I always wonder if they took their lives at the moment of "the jumping-off place."

I get angry sad, when I'm in a meeting full of recovered addicts and they are so busy gossiping talking with each other, that they ignore fail to see the guy in the back of the room who is clearly close to or is actually standing at "the jumping-off place."  This usually happens when people are coming to meetings to "get" rather than to "give."

If enough of us stand together we could catch that guy "jumping off" and get him in the book and help him to connect with the power that helped the rest of us and save his freakin' life!!!  But hey.....it's exhausting work right?  Yeah I know, sobriety and all that goes with it is exhausting.

1 comment:

Syd said...

I know that by reaching out my hand to another, it helps me. I am glad to do what I can to help anyone. A moving post for me.