Saturday, July 2, 2011

Massive Amounts of Eyeliner and Perfume


Ahhhh sleeping in until 6:00am this morning and it felt so good!

I am going to a fundraiser today and it will be hot!  There will be many treatment facilities and half way houses dumping off new comers for the event and most of them will be dressed inappropriately for the day.  When you are newly off the streets, you just don't know that it's not so "cool" to wear 4" heels to an all day outdoor fish fry.  You don't know that it is perfectly acceptable to show up somewhere without a full face of make-up.  You start realizing just how much you don't know and it really does shock the shit out of you. 

Oh how I love these people!  God put such a strong and overwhelming feeling in my heart to reach out to crazy ass hurting people wearing their costumes of streets.  Girls....put on your comfy clothes...you're home now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

you really are such a good person. i could only hope/pray/wish that somewhere out there, wherever he is, someone as nice as you is thinking of my kid. you help me in ways i cannot possibly explain.

Annette said...

Oh Pam, this made me cry. Love filled with humility and no conditions. What a beautiful heart you have. Thank God you are out there reaching out!

Let Go, Let God said...

So beautifully said. I'm putting on my comfy shoes today.

Syd said...

I am glad that you are there to welcome them. That is so good. I don't have any shoes on today.

Anonymous said...

I could write an entire post on the topic of newcomer attire. You don't even want to know how I dressed when I came into these rooms. I remember Francine W. sharing from the podium at a large speakers meeting about that very thing. I was about 2 months sober and it made such an impact. That was back in '94. ::sigh:: so sad...

Mary Christine said...

MY sponsor told my daughter she might want to think about "not dressing like a slut!" Funny thing is, no one else in the world could have gotten away with that, but we both looked at her and agreed that "might" be a good idea. Daughter, of course, is still dressing in her own inimitable style. Sometimes it takes a while.